I have posted a few random shots of the fire pit progression. After much ado, I am happy to announce that it is official: we have Fire! More specifically we have a fire pit. After a few hours of hard work we were able to enjoy ou first
evening hour where we could sit around our newly minted fire pit and bask in the heat. Here it is…
I am gettting a bit ahead of myself. This project has easily been in the works for the past month, I just haven’t sorted through all the crappy Iphone photos to pick the best yet. Here are a few to give you an idea of the process:
Laying out the inital footprint of the fire pit ( massive points to Andy for doing this while I was working over the weekend one Saturday )
Our initial plan for the fire pit was to create a barrier in the between the front yard and what we hope will one day be the outdoor kitchen. You can see in this photo just to the left of the CMU fire pit that there is a small step in the concrete. The step always made the space feel so wierd and inaccesible. I hope that once we have a pull up bar on the lower side and the fire pit on the garden side it will encourage people to walk into the little squared off area. Only time and finishing the project will tell!
About two weeks after the last picture we were at this point. CMU blocks mortared and set in place. Plywood base (for future concrete counter top) in place. Random wood post sticking out of plywood base (there is a plan for this…don’t worry!). Overall Progress…Then we started working on the part I liked, making it pretty.
On second thought…nothing about this photo above looks pretty…Yet! Proof I am actually working away:
Now for the part we enjoyed, admiring our hardwork.
So there it is… a fully functional, asthetically pleasing firepit we built all ourselves. I can’t tell you how thrilled we are at having pulled this one off. Some projects are no brainers, this one felt like an uphill battle all the way. Thank Goodness Andy had it in him to stick to it and make me get my butt in gear. If left in my hands we would still be looking at a pile of CMU blocks in the front yard.
I can’t wait to write more about how we DIY’d the CMU blocks and Stack Stone. Both ended up being messy, back breaking and awesome projects.
Our deadline (self imposed) is 3 days away… it looks like we will not be able to get the concrete countertops done in time. At least we can enjoy the firepit in the evenings. Speaking of which, I have thinset all over my hands…So I better head out before it adheres to my skin and the keyboard